Ville de Genève

SITE OFFICIEL

Mise à jour: 25.02.2015
 

Monuments along the Nations' Cultural Trail

Mansions, palatial residences and gardens as far as the eye could see were interspersed throughout the areas of Varembé and Sécheron until the construction of the Palace of Nations, which significantly modified the landscape and urban outline of what would become the Nations district. This quarter both resonates with the grandeur of times past and testifies to the emergence of International Geneva.

The Palais des Nations

© LDD

Place des Nations and Avenue de la Paix

In 1919, Geneva was chosen as the seat of the League of Nations (LN), the first intergovernmental organisation with a political agenda. The need to unite the different buildings occupied by the LN in Geneva, which had become the centre for world diplomacy, soon became evident. The international architectural competition launched in 1926, to which Le Corbusier notably contributed, was stormy, to say the least, with the jury being unable to decide between the 377 projects. In addition, the location of this “temple of world peace”, originally planned for the Perle du Lac site, had to be moved to a larger area as a result of the donation by John D. Rockefeller for a modern library. The Ariana estate was selected, thus contravening a clause in the will of its former owner, Gustave Revilliod, which stipulated that the land should become a public park.

Following the restricted competition of 1928, the architects Carlo Broggi (Italy), Julien Flegenheimer (Switzerland), Camille Lefèvre and Henri-Paul Nénot (France) as well as Joseph Vago (Hungary), were commissioned to produce a joint project. The construction work, lasting from 1929 to 1937, the biggest project in Europe at the time, gave rise to an edifice as vast as the chateau of Versailles. Although the complex, made up of five buildings, is characterised by stark academic monumentalism on the outside, its interior decoration comprises remarkable works of art, reflecting at the same time the cultural diversity of many countries and the Art Deco movement. Two wings were added in 1952 and 1973.

The League of Nations interrupted its activities with the onset of the Second World War. After ist dissolution in 1946, the Palais des Nations became the European headquarters of the UN, then in 1966 the United Nations Office in Geneva. Today one of the largest diplomatic conference centres in
the world with around 9,000 meetings and nearly 100,000 visitors per year, the Palais des Nations is an important symbol of multilateralism.

The Esplanade des Nations

© M. Levet

Place des Nations

A symbolic location at the heart of the international organisation district, the Place des Nations was created in 2007. This large square, known as the Esplanade des Nations, is constructed from 4 m wide sections of granite from UN member producing countries – the “international” land – alternating with slabs of grey concrete traditionally used for pavements in the City of Geneva – the “neutral” land. A fountain of 84 water jets representing all the international organisations present in the area that shoot up erratically from the ground animates the esplanade and can be turned off to provide a platform for public assemblies.

The Console

© LDD

Botanical garden, on the lake side

The ivy-covered Console, which formerly housed the herbaria of the Conservatory and Botanical Gardens (CJB). Thanks to a generous donation by Roger and François Varenne from Geneva, this building is being completely renovated and upgraded to comply with current safety standards. It will then house most of the CJB’s cryptogamic collections, that is, principally mosses, mushrooms, lichens and algae, as well as providing space for researchers studying these precious scientific collections.

The Centre William Rappard

© LDD

Parc William Rappard et rue de Lausanne

This was the first building in Geneva specifically designed to house an international organization, after the creation of the League of Nations in 1919. Constructed between 1923 and 1926 from plans by the architect Georges Épitaux, winner of the national competition of 1923, this neoclassical, Florentine style “palace” has rather austere façades, with lines of windows set close together, between which are found decorative medallions illustrating various trades, sculpted by Léon Perrin. Proving rapidly too small, several wings were added to the edifice. Over the years, donations of art works and decorative elements from member countries of the League of Nations, associations and institutions have come to enrich the Centre, thus concretizing the spirit of international cooperation. The building has been host to the International Labour Organization, the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR), the library of the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies and the Secretariat of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT), the predecessor of the World Trade Organization. Since 1995, it has been the seat of the World Trade Organization.

The Villa Mon Repos (Plantamour)

© M. Levet

Quai Wilson

As well as being magnificently located on the shores of the lake and an interesting architectural example, due to the subtle play of projections and recesses of its facade, it also has a fascinating history. Constructed after 1856 by Philippe Plantamour on a piece of land purchased from Henri Hentsch, the Villa Mon Repos was bequeathed to the City of Geneva in 1898. Throughout the 20th century, it has housed a succession of occupants : the Ethnographic Museum, the Académie Diplomatique Internationale, Geneva television, the French-speaking Swiss television company, the European Broadcasting Union and then, since 1974, the Henry Dunant Institute. However, before all of this, the villa was host to prestigious guests, including the famous Casanova in 1762. According to his writings, the great seducer spent a licentious evening there in the company of two brazen women from Geneva.

The wood of Sequoias in the Parc Barton

© M. Levet

In the mid-19th century, the giant Sequoia trees from California were very fashionable and were to be found in gardens everywhere. In 1858, Sir Robert Peel purchased what is now the Parc Barton, constructed a villa there (Villa Lammermoor) and had the Sequoia trees planted. These form a veritable wood through which winds a narrow path, plunging the walker into a very special atmosphere. Sir Peel’s daughter, Alexandra Barton Peel, bequeathed the property to the Swiss Confederation in 1935, on condition that it should never be divided up and that the trees should prosper and not be cut down.

A télécharger

Partage

Partager cette page

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+

Cultural trails

Exhibitions

Agenda juillet - décembre 2017

Publics


———————————

Logo Chéquier culture

Suggestions
La Ville est sur facebook

Découvrir d'autres pages du même chapitre :